Reporting to the VP of Operations, the Landfill Area Manager is accountable for efficient and cost effective operation of the landfill while meeting or exceeding the requirements of the landfill-operating license and the environmental laws, rules and standards of the State and Federal Government.
LOCATION: North Dakota, Montana
- Oversees personnel needs of the department including selecting, coaching, disciplining, and training employees, and evaluating employee performance. Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions
- Manages the day-to-day operations at the landfill and provide daily support to ensure quality and budget performance.
- Monitors budget and operating metrics while diagnosing and improving processes, procedures, and performance.
- Executes necessary precautions to ensure safety and compliance with the company, OSHA, and other standards and regulations.
- Ensures thorough root cause investigations for all injuries and incidents, following-up with consistent discipline and retraining
- Formulates both short-term and long-term goals and action plans in conjunction with the VP of Operations
- Participates in regular P&L reviews to ensure that budgets are met; develops and implements programs for optimal equipment utilization, equipment maintenance, and labor and material costs.
- Interacts with local city, municipal, and county agencies to ensure customer satisfaction, improve efficiency, renew contracts, and negotiate new contracts
- Supervise laborers who are responsible for the safe and efficient daily operations of the landfill
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all safety, environmental and equipment maintenance policies; ensure landfill is operated in a manner that is consistent with conditions stipulated in applicable permit
- Work closely with the VP of Operations, to develop and maintain fill sequencing plans and ensure density goals are achieved
- Collaborate with the VP of Operations to ensure landfill equipment is properly maintained and new equipment is obtained when necessary
- Plan and implement the operational procedures for the receiving and disposing of waste, completion of construction projects and yard maintenance
- Oversee material being received; ensure proper handling; supervise and monitor all required testing, including sampling of monitoring wells, monitors utilization of cover material; review soil reports and provide information to Environmental Manager
- Manage relationships with all outside contractors
- Establish productivity goals where needed; ensure adherence to operating standards; manage labor hours and disposal expenses
- Ensure all equipment remain in working order and in compliance with safety standards. Oversee effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable action are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implement and maintain effective loss control and safety programs
- Lead operations to ensure compliance with all standards including environmental, operating, regulatory; safety; accounting and ethics.
- Prepares annual landfill budget based on cost projections, new projects and estimated operating costs.
- Proposes capital improvements and oversees current projects
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Knowledge of company and government rules and regulations relative to the industry.
- Possesses flexibility and is able to respond to daily demands and critical issues.
- Competent in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Professional and customer focused.
- Knowledge of safety regulations and procedures for working around petroleum/hydrocarbon solutions.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- College education or equivalent experience is desired.
- Minimum five (5) years of related work experience with operating or maintain a Landfill or oilfield facility.
- Working Environment:
- The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
- Required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
- Physical Activities:
- Work is performed in a normal office environment as well as outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift 15 – 20 pounds sporadically
- Ability to sit at desk and use computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to bend, stretch, reach and kneel throughout the work day